Sunday 26 July 2009

6 Large Letterpress Printing press at work - The SB Platen

I didn’t really enjoy the prospect of running and managing a large letterpress machine which had a sliding type bed, printing via a circular drum with a manila dressing. It was big, but again I was to learn the machine inside and out and in time teach others to use it.

HERE IS THE PICTURE

Yes it was big, frightening and difficult to learn but thankfully there was a similar press at college which I was able to learn solo and again taught others to use it well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am now 50 in 2014, married with one son who is 26 in 2014, doesn't seem that long since he was born. Unfortunately I have a condition / disability S.M.A. better known as Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which falls into the category of Muscular Dystrophy. This is a degenerative condition which as time goes by, the muscle wastage increases. A wheelchair is the final destination for me, although I do have a power chair, which I have to use when I am out and about. I do drive and the car is my only real comfort to enable me to go out. I have to be careful with carving knives as I also have a blood disease, well two actually - Platelet Storage Pool disease and Von Willebrand disease. Both of these are a prolonged time of bleeding compared to someone who hasn't got the conditions. I try to be positive and when you look around then you realise that there are people far worse off, than me. I was in printing and it was a heavy, manual job, involving running printing presses, handling very heavy sheets of paper. Because of my disability, illness and chronic pain I had to stop working in 2002 at the age of 39. As such I can class myself as retired.